Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wise Counsel


Scripture makes it clear that that we benefit greatly when we listen to the advice of others. Proverbs 11:14 sums it up nicely: “in an abundance of counselors there is victory.” See also, Proverbs 1:5, 12:15, 13:10, 15:22, 19:20, 20:18, 24:6, 27:9. The reality of that principle came home to me in two ways as I was working in the garden this past weekend.

The first is quantitative. We’ve harvested a little more than a ton of produce this year, but the bulk of that wouldn’t have existed if we hadn’t listened to the counsel of one of our core folks, Glenn Demott. He pushed hard for a spring crop, but I resisted because I thought we couldn’t do one and get everything else done that was necessary to set up the new garden. Glenn eventually talked me into it, and am I glad he did. The spring crops accounted for 1,357.75 pounds of what we’ve been blessed to harvest. The result is that a lot more people have been fed.

The second is qualitative. Another area of the garden plan I resisted was peppers. I was convinced that they were a waste of space, but others persisted in advocating for them, and we agreed to do put some in. Regardless of their production (which has been amazing), they have generated some real beauty, as evidenced by the picture set out above. That beauty only exists because wise counsel was heeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment