Sunday, March 2, 2014

God in the Ordinary

Two times in the last month God has let me unambiguously experience His acting in otherwise ordinary circumstances. Let me describe them and try to explain what I think the lesson is.

Several weeks ago I was coming home from work and came across a disabled fellow parishioner whose car had broken down on a busy road at a time when his cell phone wasn’t working. I was able to push his car to the berm and we used my cell phone to get AAA on the case. That had to be God—one member of His body at the right time and place with the right resources to help another.

Today Dave, one of the guys that rotates as a teacher in our adult Sunday school class, was teaching. It was my week off, so I did not prepare and in fact slept in too late to pray/read the Bible before class.  But God got Dave and I into a groove that could only be the work of His Holy Spirit. Dave would make a point in his lesson, and I would be lead to a verse that dealt with the same concept in a just different enough way to perfectly complement Dave’s point. And to top it off, we had a full house, including several new folks.  That too had to be God.


So what’s my point?


I’m not totally sure, but I think it shows how God gets things done and how we should react.  He unexpectedly, but unmistakably, uses us to deliver very good things in otherwise ordinary circumstances, and then life moves on. No burning bush,  no pillar of fire, no blinding light, just God’s good stuff being delivered in ways that are unmistakably beyond our own plans or abilities. I guess we just need to open our eyes and realize it’s happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment