Sunday, July 30, 2023

Psalm 42:2, 3 and Psalm 43:3, 4 annotated

This translation is from the New American Bible. Other translations are available hereInformation about the original Hebrew meaning of what seem to be the key words is provided in blue immediately below the scriptural text. 

***

R. (see 42:3) Athirst is my soul for the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?
As the hind longs for the running waters, so my soul longs for you, O God.


R. Athirst is my soul for the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?
Athirst is my soul for God, the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?


R. Athirst is my soul for the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?
Send forth your light and your fidelity; they shall lead me on and bring me to your holy mountain, to your dwelling-place.


R. Athirst is my soul for the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?
Then will I go in to the altar of God, the God of my gladness and joy; Then will I give you thanks upon the harp,
O God, my God!

R. Athirst is my soul for the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?

 

soul = נֶפֶשׁ = nep̄eš  Blue Letter Bible  soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion; the inner being of man; seat of the appetites; seat of emotions and passions; the mode of feeling/acting, understanding and the faculty of thinking

 

longs for = עָרַג = āraḡ  Blue Letter Bible  to long for, pant after, desire; cry

 

Athirst = צָמֵא = ṣāmē'  Blue Letter Bible  desire eagerly

 

No comments:

Post a Comment