Sunday, July 30, 2023

Psalm 51:3-4, 12-13, 14-15 annotated

This translation is from the New American Bible. Other translations are available hereInformation about the original Hebrew meaning of what seem to be the key words is provided in blue immediately below the scriptural text. 


***

R. (12a) Create a clean heart in me, O God.
Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me.


R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.
A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence, and your Holy Spirit take not from me.


R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.
Give me back the joy of your salvation, and a willing spirit sustain in me.
I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners shall return to you.
R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.

 

Create = בָּרָא = bārā' Blue Letter Bible To shape, form, fashion; to feed, make fat; to cut, carve, form by cutting; produce

 

clean = טָהוֹר = ṭâôr Blue Letter Bible Pure, fair; clear; unmixed, unalloyed, unpolluted

 

heart= לֵב = lēḇ Blue Letter Bible inner man, mind, will, understanding; midst; soul; mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory; inclination, resolution, determination (of will); conscience; seat of appetites, emotions, passions, courage; feelings, the will and even the intellect; the center of anything

No comments:

Post a Comment